Thanks for stopping by the blog, I hope you are having a lovely time having a little look around.
You would think that writing about yourself should come easily… especially when I have blogged for over a year. But the truth is, I could never really find the right way to say, “Hello! This is me and my blog.”
So, I am taking my friend Miko’s advice and I am going tell you a little about myself and the blog in dot points because everything sounds a little funnier and less daunting in dot points. So, here we go!
WHAT IS INHAPPENSTANCE
- Name: The name in part comes from this amazing album called Happenstance by Rachael Yamagata and in part what the word itself represents. I was listening to this album on repeat during a darker time in my life while I was still a closet pro-crastibaker. This album pulled me through a tough time and I started to see the joy in discovering things by pure coincidence, and trust me – it happened a lot when I baked. I stopped fretting over the small stuff and learn that you can’t always control every aspect of your life. Not long after the cloud of doubt cleared, I decided that blogging would be a good way to expand on my creativity and explore new things.
- Topic: It is primarily a food blog. I share with you recipes I have made and enjoyed from other food blogs, cookbooks and websites, places to eat and visit with the occasional sprinkling of my thoughts on life. I can sometimes be a bit of a lazy cook/baker and prefer to indulge in simple recipes and not elaborate or complicated ones.
- Growth: Recently, I took a break from blogging. I blogged about my uncertainty of continuing InHappenstance as a food blog here. Going forward, I am hoping to grow with my blog and slowly evolve it into something a little more meaningful and personal.
- Why: Why was it necessary for me to start a blog? It started as a way to share my recipes with family and friends, but after my blog hiatus of nearly 6 months, I discovered that blogging was my outlet to explore a more creative side of myself through cooking/baking, photographing and writing.
BEHIND THE BLOG – ME!
- My name is Lynnette and I live in Melbourne, Australia with my husband, Harlan who is a top dude, my best man-friend and food test subject.
- Office administrator by day and during my down time I indulge in my creative side as food blogger / closet poem writer / novice photographer.
- Born in Malaysia / Chinese-Malaysian by decent / honorary Australian by choice – I have now officially spent equal parts of my life in Malaysia and Australia. Bring on the identity crisis!
- When asked about things to do in a country/city I have been to – I will mainly offer tips on where and what to eat.
- I procrasti-bake a lot. When I use to live at home, my mother always knew I was trying to avoid confronting something (assignments, boys, people…) when she found me in the kitchen covered in flour and sugar.
- I enjoy watching period / costume dramas, really sad movies (that make my heart-break or cry), chick flicks and classic slapstick comedy. (None of this comedy drama stuff that seems to be the norm. Sometimes a girl just wants to laugh so hard she pees herself!)
ODDS AND ENDS…
- I don’t have a favourite anything because I change my mind too often. (Classic Gemini)
- I am going through a real Musical soundtrack phase at the moment. Think, Waitress, Hamilton, The Colour Purple and the usual rotation of Legally Blonde, Wicked and Les Miserables etc.
- It is a well-known fact that anyone that ends up living with me gains at least 5 kilograms before they leave. Kind of like Hansel and Gretel… NO to the cannibal witch but YES to the house made of cakes, candy and delicious sweet treats.
- I am currently challenging myself to read 25 books this year. When I was about 4 – 16 years old, I would read at least 20 books every two months! The creative and imaginative me is slowly decaying and I am trying to re-ignite its creative fire!
- Growing up in Malaysia, our favourite pastime was eating. It is common to eat at least 6 meals a day. Breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and then supper. And it is also not uncommon to drive nearly 2 hours in search for the latest eating trend/delicacy. I have no idea how I managed it back then (metabolism, where the hell have you gone?!) but these days, I stick to the 3 meals and the occasional naughty dessert.
Okay, PHEW! I did it! *fist pump* Thanks so much for sticking with me through that, I hope you got a little insight into who I am and what this blog is about… but, like most blogs it is a work in progress and I am excited to see what this new journey will bring.
Thanks for stopping by!
© Lynnette Lai and inhappenstance.com, 2015-2016. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links can be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Lynnette Lai and inhappenstance.com with proper and specific direction to the original content. All photos that are not mine will always be acknowledged and sources linked where applicable.
Drop me an email: email@example.com